The Library is situated on the first floor of the Museum building. There are nearly 1,000 books including those held for the Clan MacLean Association and the Mull Historical and Archaeological Society. All books are donated or bought by the Museum when there is a clear reference to Mull. For example, "A Cromwellian Warship" by Colin J. Martin. Donated books from local family connections range from "The Log of the Blue Dragon" 1892-1904 by C.C. Lynam to "Where Memories go" by Sally Magnusson. On the shelves, as well as mainly hard-backed books there are 80 boxes of smaller books, leaflets and bundles of Collections. There are boxes containing music, old telephone directories, copies of "The Scottish Genealogist", and programmes from local events like the Highland Games and the Gaelic Mod.
There are past copies of Am Muileach and Round and About. There is also a well consulted group of books published by HMSO. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland - ARGYLL 1-7.
We also have many books about Isabella Bird, some given to the Museum by Professor Kiyonori Kanasaka who has made it his life's work to chronicle her travels in great detail. He is a regular visitor to the Museum from Japan and has donated books in the Japanese language. Another interesting collection is Christine Leach's 21 copies of Pennyghael in the Past Historical Archive detailing the history of the land and settlements in that part of the island. There is much more to see!
To make an appointment to be in the Library please contact the Museum.
Also in the library is a wall of Archive Boxes and Jo Currie's "Pupitre", a card index of Mull people created during her research for her book "Mull, the Island and its People". There is an on-line computer and a large table surrounded by comfortable chairs. A good place for reading and research.
Please see our 'Archive' page for more information.